The handgun licensing class is a mandatory 4-hour course required for all new purchasers of handguns in Maryland. This course is required for all people interested in purchasing, renting, or receiving a handgun. This requirement was effective as of October 1, 2013, and applies to everyone unless they possess a valid Handgun Qualification License (HQL) issued by the Maryland State Police. Those that
The handgun qualification licensing course covers pertinent Maryland State Firearm Laws, Home Firearm Safety, and the mechanisms and operation for a handgun’s safe handling. There is also an operation and handling section of training which includes a “live fire.”
Absolute HQL offers Maryland Gun Classes at 422 Eastern Blvd A Room, Essex, MD 21221. Pre-Registration is required: https://marylandgunclasses.com/classes/category/hql-training-classes/
In addition to completing the mandatory HQL training course, applicants must obtain LiveScan fingerprinting ($55) and pay the Maryland State License Fee ($50). Absolute HQL provides all these services in an easy one-stop service.
The instructors at Absolute HQL the best in the region, ensuring that participants are well equipped to handle a handgun and meet licensing requirements.
Below are the exemptions to the HQL Courses as defined by the Maryland State Police:
Exceptions to possession of the HQL License
- A Licensed Firearms Manufacturer.
- Active law enforcement officer or a person retired in good standing from a law enforcement agency of the United States (Federal Law Enforcement), the State, or a local law enforcement agency of the State.
- Active or retired member of the United States Armed Forces or National Guard and possesses a valid military identification card.
- A person purchasing, renting or receiving an antique, curio or relic as defined in federal law.
- Maryland licensed firearms dealers. (Sole Proprietors)
Required to have the HQL, but exempt from the training component
- Someone who completed a firearms safety training course approved by the Secretary of the Department of Maryland State Police.
- Has completed a course of instruction in the competency and safety of firearms as prescribed under Natural Resources Article, §10-301.1, Annotated Code of Maryland. Application for the Maryland Department of Natural Resources Hunter Safety Course Certificate can be obtained from here and may be used in lieu of Qualified Handgun Instruction.
- Is currently a qualified handgun instructor.
- Is an honorably discharged member of the armed forces of the United States or National Guard.
- Is an employee of an armored car company who has a handgun permit issued by MSP.
- Lawfully owns a regulated firearm, you do not have to complete the training to apply for the Handgun Qualification License.